Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bicultural misunderstandings

If you took a moment to look at my profile you saw that I am a lighter shade of brown.  My older brother is a tall, exceedingly handsome, beautifully brown man, our grandmother has gorgeous porcelain skin and long flowing blonde hair.  One day the three of us went to the grocery store, this typically takes gramma at least an hour, and that is just browsing.  We usually end up straying away from her, walk around on our own, find her, get bored, walk away again - it is a vicious cycle.  In an attempt to entertain my brother, I walked up to gramma reached into her purse (which is always hanging on her arm and wide open) I pulled out a pen, showed it to my brother and returned it to her purse without her noticing.  My brother chuckled, we soon noticed she wasn't anywhere near ready to leave yet, so once again we walked away.  Moments later we saw her making her way up the to check out, relieved I stepped into place behind her and my brother stood at the end of check out waiting for us.  I noticed two squad cars out front and thought to myself, 'oooh, someone is shoplifting, I hope they throw the book at them!' We made our way up to and through the check out and no action - bummer.  As we start to walk out the police grab my brother and me. My brother immediately said, 'Hey, let me go, you don't put your hands on me'.  Shocked and horrified, I immediately start crying (its what I do).  They gently pull gramma to the side saying, 'Ma'am, ma'am, they were stealing from you!' Stunned she said, 'Who' they pointed to us saying 'them, they were!'  Gramma said, 'Those are my babies!' Then, in front of God and everybody, she furiously yet with a scary calmness told them all exactly what she thought about all of them.  I thought she was going to hulk up at any second!  Gramma took care of 500 years of oppression in 5 minutes, while my brother and I (and everyone else) stood there speechless.

1 comment:

  1. hahahhahahahahah amazing girl. You should check out Multiculturalfamilia, you should try to even submit this as a guest post to them!! lo♥e Holly

    ReplyDelete