Tuesday, September 13, 2011

America's Dumbest Criminal

One winter when I was younger, and very shortly after passing my drivers license test, a few friends (including my Best Friend Lexi) and I drove to Louis Joliet Mall (now named Westerfield Mall).  The plows created very tall and wide snow drifts.  We, being very young, inexperienced, and less than intelligent at that moment somehow decided to chase each other all around the mountains of snow and parking lot - IN SEPARATE CARS.  I know, I know, shame shame shame, anways, I ended up crashing head on right into another car, right into their drivers side front door. Shocked we all got out of our cars and assessed the damage.  Realizing there was no damage to my car, after a quick pow wow with my friends, I made the (poor) decision to leave the scene. I decided I better call it a night and went straight home.  Not long after I was home the doorbell rang, I peeked out the window and saw it was Joliet's finest (a police car).  Since it was pretty late and the doorbell at that hour was unusual my Father came downstairs as well.  I was frozen with fear, he looked out the window, then at me, since I have NO poker face he immediately saw the look of horror on my face, and he said 'Is this for you?'  All I could do was stare at him open mouthed.  He opened the door and stepped out to talk to the officer.  He came back in and told me to get dressed quickly and go with the officer. He drove us back to the mall where there was another officer and the poor scared little mall worker.  The waiting officer asked me a few questions, whispered to officer chauffeur, then told me I was free to go.  With great relief I thanked them both.  He said 'Hey do you want to know how we found you?' I nervously said, 'Umm, sure.' He then smiled and handed me through the window the front license plate to my car.  Both officers proceeded to laugh hysterically and I could feel my face heating up more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment