Saturday, November 12, 2011

A speech & a side show

In our college days my friend Phoebe and I used to go talk to high school kids and tell them the importance of maintaining good grades and going to college.  I typically spoke about the importance of staying focused, not allowing yourself to accept negative influences.  Phoebe spoke about how to register, select classes, and what one can expect while actually in college.  We usually spoke to teens that seemed to be going down a troubled path.  Except for this one time we actually were assigned a bunch of honor students that couldn't wait to get to college.  We knew this lecture was going to be very easy and laid back.  My lecture went very well, I had so much fun talking to and laughing with the kids.  It is now Phoebe's turn, I remain at the front of the classroom but move out of her path of vision.  While she is speaking I pretend to sign what she is saying to the kids.  However this was me standing up there doing the Macarena, YMCA, & pretending I was a Mime.  The kids were roaring with laughter, and every time Phoebe turned to look at me I would immediately stop and pretend to stand quietly. It didn't take very long at all for Phoebe to realize exactly what was going on.  Luckily she has the greatest personality and is a very good sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment