Thursday, April 26, 2012

Smell my finger

I recently visited a specialty store to purchase Effusion Lamps and scented oils for my dear friends Lexi, Bernie, and Josie.  It was fun looking through all the different sparkly colored lamps.  I was lucky enough to find each of them lamps that were all different but the same, matching their unique and colorful sparkly personalities.  Once I selected the lamps it was time to smell all of the various aromas to find the best of the best just like my girls.  I settled on Juniper Breeze and Creme Brulee, only 1 more left.  There was one scent that did not have a tester, it was Love Spell.  I picked up the bottle but the oil is so concentrated all I could smell was alcohol.  One of the workers asked me if they could assist me, I mentioned there was no tester and I really wanted to smell this scent.  She looked around and could not find the tester. (this is the conversation that ensued)
Me:  "Do you have anything you can dip into the bottle, like a Q-tip?"
Worker:  "No, I don't have anything.  Here, I will dip my finger in the bottle!"
Me:   "When I woke up this morning I did not think I was going to get the opportunity to smell             anyone's finger today.  Is there any way I can avoid smelling your finger?"
Worker: (smiling) "How about if I wash my hands?"
Me:  (laughing) "OK, go ahead."
The worker went to the back for a moment, then returned holding her hands up and said, "All clean!"  She walked over to the display, picked up the bottle, removed the cap, and stuck her index finger into the bottle of scented oil.  She began wiggling her finger around and kind of shaking the bottle.  I said, "Do I need to shake the oil before using it?"  She said, "Um, no, it's just, I kind of, ouch! My finger is stuck!"  I couldn't believe it!  She began pulling harder and harder on the bottle and gasping in pain.  I asked, "Are you OK?  Does it burn?"  She said, "No, I just can't get my finger out!"  I kept a safe distance because I know once oil gets into your clothes, there is slim to no change of ever getting it out.  Finally, her phalange was free!  After a big sigh of relief she began waving her tortured finger in front of my nose and said, "Here, how does this smell?"  It was distracting to try to smell her finger while it quickly flailed about directly in front of my face.  In order to take a good smell, I had to hold her hand still.  Of course, as I stood there holding her hand and smelling her finger, a gentleman walked by.  The sight of us stopped him in his tracks.  For a brief moment the three of us stood there looking at each other.  I said to the gentleman, "Originally she asked me to pull it, but I thought that would be just silly."  They both laughed.  Eventually the aroma of the oil came through and smelled pretty good.  Ultimately, I bought the scent.  Deep down, I thought it would be kind of funny if after all of her time and effort I said, "Nah, smells to much like hand."

No comments:

Post a Comment