Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Rollback red herring

One day two of my friends Tiffany M., Much, and I wanted to put our courage to the test.  We each put on navy blue shirts and khaki pants, and went to a very popular super center to see if we can impersonate workers without being asked to leave the store.  It is pretty safe to say of the three of us I was definitely the most hesitant.  We walked into the store and headed straight for the back (mostly because I was terrified).  We went to the toy section and began straightening, it only took a few minutes before people began walking up to us asking various questions.  Every time someone asked Much where they could locate an item, he sent them in the opposite direction of the item's actual location.  We sat in the employee break room for 15 minutes.  I was still terrified and uncomfortable, Tiffany calmly looked through magazines, Much appeared right at home and was as comfortable as he could be.  The three of us walked around the store, on two separate occasions walked right by 2 different managers one of which actually smiled and said "Hello."  We went to the front of the store and initiated conversation with actual associates taking a smoke break.  After that we went back inside and Tiffany started greeting customers as they entered the store.  I was shocked and could not stop laughing when she stopped two different shoppers to check their receipts, and sent one of them to the customer service desk.  When Tiffany began checking receipts I thought it was in our best interest to leave very soon. Partly because I couldn't stop laughing, but more so because I literally felt a chill run down my spine when I saw Much walk confidently into the bakery, behind the counter, and help a girl pick up a large amount of cookies she accidentally dropped.  Each of the two times we walked by a manager I thought we were in trouble for sure.  We were there at least an hour and not even one actual associate or manager questioned us.  When we reminisce about this we laugh, Tiffany and Much could probably do things like this on a daily basis, I however am too chicken.   

1 comment: