Thursday, April 12, 2012

Screaming emergency procedures

At one of my previous places of employment when we had a bunch of new hires the management staff would rotate in and out of the training room teaching our own various areas of specialty. One of my areas of specialty was Emergency Procedures. I was fighting to over come a respiratory infection and ended up with clogged/muffled ears. As a result, it was a little harder for me to hear than normal. I just received medication from the doctor that Thursday to speed up the recovery process. I trained the new hires the following Friday, only day 2 taking the medication and still muffled. Unbeknownst to me, as a direct result of my clogged ears I ended up screaming at these poor new hires the entire time I was with them. None of them said anything or gave me any kind of a heads up. I literally screamed at these poor people for hours. At the beginning of each new week a member of our management staff that did not train the prior week would come in and ask the class how their training was going and for any feedback. The new hires said I was nice, however I yelled at them the entire day. After hearing that, the manager tracked me down and filled me in. I was very surprised and couldn't believe they thought I was yelling at them. We ended up going back into the class room together to get some more information. After asking more and more questions and doing more and more talking, not to mention someone pointing out that I was not yelling at them right then and there. We slowly figured out it was my temporarily distorted hearing that made me speak louder than normal. I guess I thought if I couldn't hear me they really couldn't hear me. We finally got it all straightened out. After that, when anyone in that class would see me in passing they would yell out a greeting and chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment