Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Altar awkwardness

As a child you see some family members so often you begin to view them as siblings.  This was the case with my God brother Mike, consequently you grow up and life takes you in different directions.  Luckily we reconnected a few months ago, he introduced me to his beautiful fiance Alexandra.  I was thrilled to learn they were getting married very soon.  To my surprise shortly thereafter he called me extending an invitation to there upcoming nuptials. I happily and eagerly accepted the invite.  I was so excited you'd think it was my wedding.  Driving to the venue, to my dismay there was more traffic than usual and a road block due to some type of a festival.  Forcing me to take an unfamiliar route, going the opposite direction.  I felt my frustration rising as time ticked away, the last thing I wanted to do was arrive late.  At last, and only a few minutes late, I saw the Mansion and hurriedly pulled into the parking lot.  I immediately noticed there we no other cars (at that time didn't know the Mansion has two parking lots).  Puzzled, I also didn't see anyone walking around outside.  I wondered, 'Did I get the date wrong?' 'Why don't I see any familiar cars?'  I considered leaving but wanted to at least go take a look inside.  I approached the seemingly vacant Mansion.  I tried to open a door but it was locked, I walked around the building to another door, discovered it was open.  I quietly stepped inside and looked around.  I heard people talking and moving, following the sound I saw a sign on a door that had my God brother's name on it.  Happy to find conformation I continued on to a large beautifully decorated ballroom filled with workers frantically rushing to prepare for the reception.  I asked a women where the ceremony was being held, she told me to go back up the stairs, down the hallway, stay to the left, and it will take me directly to the chapel.  I thanked her and quickly followed her precise instruction.  My frustration was gone and excitement returned.  Walking along I came to a spot in the long hallway where it forked into two directions.  I thought to myself, 'The woman said, "Stay left" so I better stay left.' I walked up to a door that had another sign with Mike's name on it just like the one downstairs.  I could hear soft music playing and the sound of people trying to be as quiet as they could.  Relived, I gently and quietly opened the door.  Stepping through the doorway, looking behind me, never letting go of the door assuring it didn't slam shut.  I heard the gentle and quiet click of the door closing and turned around to walk into the chapel.  I stopped in my tracks, I turned around only to realize I was standing on the altar!  There I was facing everyone in the entire chapel.  Mike looked up at me, smiled and let out a tiny little giggle, my pretty God sisters were standing in the line of bridesmaids.  One looking at me equally as surprised, the other was flat out laughing at me, behind them sat a few hundred of my long lost friends and family.  The only thing hotter than all of the lights shining down on me was the heat coming off of my face, now red from embarrassment.  Listening to the sounds of increasing giggles, I did my best to speed walk off the altar, as I passed my laughing God sister she discreetly slapped my backside.  I hurried to the nearest pew, right as I sat down, louder music played, doors opened, and everyone stood as the strikingly beautiful bride emerged.  I was thankful for something to take away the attention.  As predicted, many of my family members could not pass on this great opportunity to jokingly give me a hard time about my entrance.  During the reception the handsome couple took time to greet their guests.  When they made their way to me, Mike laughed, gave me a hug, and said, "If you wanted to be in the wedding you should have just told me!"  Thank goodness they have a great sense of humor.  The wedding was beautiful and the reception was a blast.  There were smiles as far as the eye can see.  I am 100% certain Mike and Alexandra will live happily ever after.   

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I would have died right there. This story is so funny, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good writing Kim. It puts the reader right in the scenario and feel the things you felt as well..VERY GOOD!

    ReplyDelete