Monday, July 30, 2012

City people shouldn't go fishing

I was born and raised in one of the greatest cities in the world, My Sweet Home Chicago.  Every once in a while my family would get together and go on 'nature' trips.  I remember one trip we all went fishing.  My parents, younger sister, my God-parents and God-brothers all got together, and it was not long before chaos began.  We packed a big styrofoam cooler, as we walked from the car into the wooded area it broke into three pieces.  YAY NATURE!  I remember during the car ride from the city, my Mom was going on and on about how much fun fishing is.  By the time we arrived at the lake I was excited and ready to fish.  Somehow, the part about having to actually touch a worm didn't stick with me.  I absolutely refused to put the worm on the hook, as usual my Dad came to my rescue and did it for me.  After he put the disgusting worm on the hook, he reached out to hand me the baited fishing pole, the thought of holding a pole with a worm on it was too gross too me.  A few minutes later my God-father tried to cast into the lake, but his hook accidentally got caught in my shirt.  YAY NATURE! It didn't take very long before my sister and I realized we had to potty.  We were handed a roll of toilet paper and instructed to go into the woods and out of sight. 

It was at that moment we learned 3 life lessons (the hard way)
1.  If you ever have to pee in the woods it gets scary the moment you step past the fourth tree.
2.  If you begin peeing and are facing the wrong way on an incline you will know it very quickly, and you probably wont want to wear those shoes ever again. 
3. If boys are anywhere in the area they are 100% guaranteed to attempt to scare you.

We eventually made our way back to the adults.  I saw my Dad and God-father out in the middle of the lake in a medium sized row boat.  Somehow, and not really to anyone's surprise, my Dad ended up falling into the lake.  We all erupted with laughter, my Dad is seriously the funniest person I have and will ever know!  As usual he was a very good sport and laughed right along with the rest of us.  My God-brothers found a turtle, we begged and begged our parents to allow us to keep the turtle.  My God-parents said, 'No', but luckily my parents said, 'Yes'   YAY NATURE!   My sister and I happily named our new pet turtle 'Rocky' (hey, we were 80's kids and Rocky was a very popular movie ~ Adriaaan!) it wasn't until after we got Rocky home, we realized he was a Snapping Turtle.  We didn't have Rocky very long.  Moral of the story ~ City people shouldn't go fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment