Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Score: Soccer ball 1 - Mommy's face 0

My nephews have been blessed with outstanding athletic ability.  One of my nephews has caught the attention of Major League Soccer's Chicago Fire.  They play a variety of sports and are typically the star player on the team, out performing and out scoring the other players.  My nephews' kind hearted grandmother brings a cowbell to every game.  She proudly cheers and loudly clangs her boys to victory. Needless to say, the cowbell was a hit! The other mothers commented and laughed at our family's enthusiasm.  When we cheer for our boys we mean serious business!  We get into the zone just as much as the children.  My sister's youngest child is 3 years old and already demonstrates natural talent just like his two older brothers.  During the games he occupies himself by kicking around a soccer ball.  At times we are so into cheering and clanging we forget about our surroundings.  Recently during one of their soccer games my sister was so focused on cheering for her baby, she didn't notice her 3 year old (who was occupying himself playing dodgeball) getting closer and closer to her.  I'd say he was only about 10 feet away from her when he pulled his little foot way back and kicked the soccer ball with all his might.  Again, we were in the zone and completely focused on the playing field.  Then, faster than anyone could react, in came the soccer ball, moving pretty quickly and with a nice little bit of force behind it.  My unsuspecting sister stood there cheering and clanging her heart out then SMACK! the soccer ball hit her right in the middle of her face!  My 3 year old nephew began jumping up and down happily saying, 'I got her, I got her!'  Shocked we looked at my sister, she stood there in stunned silence holding that now equally silent cowbell.  She then exhaled and said, 'I'm okay.'  My nephew's father ran to him, reminded him that he has to be very careful, the importance of not kicking the ball in the direction of people, and demanded he apologize to his mother.  He apologized and gave her a hug and a kiss.  I discreetly leaned over and asked my sister, 'When he hit you in the face, did you see him jump up and say, "YES! IN THE FAACE!" I told you not to let him watch Coming to America' we both laughed.  Then we were back to business as usual cheering for our boys.  It didn't take long at all before we all stood cheering, each of us holding and clanging our own cowbells.  It seems the Saturday Night Live writers here absolutely right ~ all we really need is MORE COWBELL!

No comments:

Post a Comment