Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Calling Candyman

My buddy Nathan and his pretty wife Brandy occasionally come back to Chicago from Ohio to visit for the holidays.  Luckily I was able to see them this time around.  While talking we ended up on the subject of scary movies.  The 90's horror film Candyman came up, Brandy mentioned that she had never seen the movie, Nathan and I decided that she had to see it.  We all watched the movie, I'll admit, it still gives me a few chills.  If you have never seen this movie, it was filmed in a dangerous part of Chicago, if you go into the bathroom, look into the mirror and say "Candyman" five times, he will suddenly appear, then kill everyone.  When the movie ended Nathan immediately got up and walked away.  Brandy and I didn't really give it too much thought.   Brandy and I, still in the cinematic moment, got up and went into the bathroom to test our courage.  Once in the bathroom, we closed the door, turned off the light, and tried our luck.  This didn't quite work at first because due to our giggling and joking.  Finally, we got ourselves together and took our task seriously.  We both looked into the mirror and in unison said the supposedly deadly word, "Candyman" about 5 seconds went by, we said it again "Candyman" this time we hesitated, about 15 seconds went by before we spoke again.  The next time we said it with less confidence.  "Candyman" I don't know why, but fear began growing inside of me.  I grabbed Brandy's hand and we said it again "Candym--"  Right at that moment Nathan (who had been hiding in the shower the entire time) ripped back the shower curtain, yelled "RAAAAAH" and lunged out for us!  We both screamed in 100% pure terror!  Brandy being the quick thinker that she is turned around to escape.  She didn't know that I thought it would 'smart' to lock the bathroom door so no one would catch us.  I didn't know this would turn the bathroom into a death trap.  As a result of my dim wit Brandy began clawing at the door trying to get out.  In that extreme moment of fear I was less ambitious.  I chose to slump down in front of the sink, cry, and pee my pants.  Nathan turned on the light and began to laugh hysterically.  Brandy and I stood there looking at him in disbelief.  In an instant Brandy was furious, she told Nathan something very intense, and quickly left the bathroom.  I swallowed hard to get my heart out of my throat and back into my chest, and stood up.  Nathan, still thrilled with himself, took one look at my wet pants and laughed so hard he fell down in the tub.  I wish I could say I left the bathroom with even a little bit of my pride in tact, but I think it had urine on it. 

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious!!! Hiding behind the curtain and scaring the hake out of you reminds me of something Anton would do, right? Well at least you were in the bathroom when you peed your pants! Gotta love it! Come on over and we'll try out Bloody Mary...just bring a change of clothes lol!!!

    ReplyDelete